English everyday Uncategorized

English everyday – sofa, settee or couch?

What do you call this?


Probably, if you’re an English learner, you’d say sofa as that’s what many textbooks teach, and it’s also a similar word in other languages. But, if you come to Britain you might hear settee or couch too (and in America possibly love seat, davenport or chesterfield!).

Unlike other words in Britain sofa/settee/couch doesn’t seem to have clear regional differences, but it may have a class difference with upper-middle class and above people saying sofa, working class and lower-middle class saying settee or couch. Although this isn’t really strict (Kate Fox talks about this in her book Watching the English).

Are sofas, settees and couches different? A sofa has a back and arms, whereas a settee may or may not have arms. A couch has one side and half a back. But really we use all these words to mean the same thing – the big seat that’s not an armchair.


An armchair. Or is it a winged chair?

What do you say? Let me know below.

Like this? Get more with my weekly email newsletter, with mini-speaking challenge. Sign up here

2 comments on “English everyday – sofa, settee or couch?

  1. Armchair. Much easier to pronounce 🙂


  2. Settee, or sittee, and I’m not working class or posh.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: